Monday, April 27, 2015

College Writing Review


My major is chemical biosciences, so I haven’t really done much creative writing outside of this class. I took composition 1 and 2 a few years ago, but those involved a more formal style of writing. In this class, a lot of the writing assignments include blog posts and storytelling, which gives the writer much more freedom. I have done a lot of writing in other classes, but nearly all of it has been in some type of scientific format. This includes things like laboratory reports, research papers, abstracts, and things of that nature. Because I was so used to writing in a scientific format, writing for this class was a little difficult at first and it took some time for me to get used to the creative writing style. I think I have gotten much better over the course of the semester, though. This class is great for developing creative writing and storytelling skills, but not everybody will benefit from those. If I had to design one writing class for all college students to take, it would probably involve several types of writing- creative, formal, scientific, research, etc. And one of the first things that I believe should be taught is how to write an email to teachers/professors. I think that is one skill that is easy to learn and that everybody can benefit from.
(Image of student writing. Source: Pixabay)

No comments:

Post a Comment