Saturday, January 31, 2015

Stories of Revenge in Greek Mythology: Styles Brainstorm

Topic: For my storybook, I have chosen to write about stories of revenge in Greek Mythology. I want to write about a few different characters and stories of revenge that they were involved in. One of the characters that I will definitely be writing about is Nemesis, the Greek goddess of revenge. There is lots of information about her on Wikipedia, and there are several stories around the internet and in the Un-textbook. I also want to write about some of the stories involving Hercules, as he is one of my favorite characters in Greek mythology. I have read several stories about him in the Un-textbook already, and there are several more online. 

Bibliography:
1. Ovid's Metamorphoses (Books 1-10) translated by Tony Kline. Web source: Mythology and Folklore Un-textbook
2. Nemesis (mythology) by unknown. Web source: Wikipedia

Possible Styles:

Third-person Anthology: I think this is the most sensible style for this type of story. Generally, tales of Greek mythology are told from the third-person point of view. Many of the stories are told as anthologies, but many of them go together as well. I think the anthology style would be a better choice for this topic though. That would allow me to tell a few stories of revenge that do not have anything to do with each other, rather than trying to make all of the stories go together. 

First-person: Another style that may be interesting is a first-person account of the stories. I could possibly make all of the stories revolve around a certain character. All of the stories could follow that character and they could all be pieced together to tell a single story of revenge. 

Courthouse setting: Having a judge hearing these stories from the characters involved during a trial could be an interesting style. I feel that writing the story that way would give me a chance to express the characters feelings about the situation and explain why the person sought revenge. 

Zeus telling the stories: With this style, I could have Zeus telling these tales of revenge to his children. I think that would work really well and it would be a unique way to write about Greek mythology, but it would also present some problems. If Zeus was telling these stories to his children, I wouldn't be able to include stories about Zeus's children in my storybook. There are plenty of other stories of revenge, though, so this would still be possible. 

(Painting of Nemesis by Alfred Rethel. Source: Wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment